Sunday, March 29, 2020

In these difficult days: March 29

March 29

Beloved,

Our dear friend in Ashland, Pete Twitchell, was famous for his weekly y greeting at the corps: “Happy Sunday.” The sun is shining, and kids are laughing as they ride their bikes past my house, but my heart is so heavy on this Lord’s day. Yes, it is Sunday, Pete, but it’s not very happy as COVID-19 is sweeping across our country, around our world. We’re separated from the people we love in our church, our community and family. We are afraid, and grieving over the loss of life. Some of us are hunkering down, while some of us are more exhausted than at kettle time as we work to meet the needs of the poor in our midst.

And yet, through it all, God is with us. My heart turns to Matt Maher’s words today, as he builds upon the old hymn, I Need Thee, O I Need Thee.

Lord, I come, I confess
Bowing here I find my rest
Without You I fall apart
You're the One that guides my heart

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You.

Might our hearts turn to the One who will guide our steps and grant us courage for the days ahead.


A Prayer

I share in the prayer of gratitude Lt. Col. Larry Ashcraft posted today and echo his words.

“It has been a brutal few weeks in our country. Everything has seemed dark. One consistent light is the bravery, work ethic and selfless service of the officers, volunteers, employees and soldiers of the PENDEL division (and – my addition) the greater Salvation Army).

My eyes are filled with tears of joy and gratitude as I scroll through the pictures and hear the stories of people stepping into the gap for those most in need. It is moving beyond words”.

A Touch of Grace
While I didn’t catch his daily appearance today, I understand that Governor DeWine of Ohio shared the following with his listeners. From the Malone University in our community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7SUm-60ejQ&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3gwZas6UJxO4ae3M_P00iHDKSG4ytFZ1XK4hzp0kUDDYBvsguftx7_81k



No comments:

Post a Comment