Saturday, July 21, 2012

Unforced Rhythms of Grace


“So how goes retired life?”  This question’s been raised with curiosity and perhaps a touch of envy as we meet people around town these days.  Yes, it’s been 3 weeks since we finished our work after 6 years in the development and leadership of the Kroc Center in Ashland, and after 34 years, 16 days of active Salvation Army service.  Where have the days gone?

They began, ironically, with travel to a funeral for a friend in Lancaster, PA, where I pulled on the beloved off-black pantyhose (along with my Salvation Army uniform) so that I could “dress appropriately to pay my respects.”  When I wrote those words, I hadn’t expected to do that on my first official day of retirement, but it was the right thing to do.  Hildred and Carl were early mentors on our ministry journey, and we were glad to have the flexibility in schedule to honor her and say good-bye.  I had another funeral this week , but I’m hopeful that won’t be a regular occurrence.

We had the privilege of welcoming Captains Brett and Jessica DeMichael to the Kroc Center and symbolically transferred the mantle of leadership to their shoulders.  Our shawl of prayer, created by the center’s knitting circle, was a cross between the mantle passed from Elijah to Elisha and Joseph’s technicolor dreamcoat.  As much as I was saddened at being “farewelled” from the leadership of the Kroc Center, I was rather glad that the mantle was on their shoulders when RJ’s Spraypark broke down on the hottest weekend of the year – “not my problem” anymore.       

What else?  We’ve had houseguests for a week, two charming young members of the Creative Arts Service Team that brought the joy of Narnia to Ashland, and we hosted a cookout for a couple of dozen people in conjunction with their visit.  We’ve traveled to Splash Lagoon to celebrate my sister’s 50th by hurling down water slides – if she suggests bungee jumping for her 60th birthday, count me out.  Then there’ve been job interviews, writing projects, car shopping, and of course, time spent with the lovely Madelyn Simone, now a delightful and determined two-year-old dynamo.

At the baby shower for Madelyn, each guest brought a favorite children’s book, and I chose “The Napping House,” written by Audrey Wood and charmingly illustrated by her husband Don.  I’d loved “King Bidgood’s in the Bathtub” for years, and so anticipated reading another of the Wood’s creations with our new granddaughter.  Little did I know that a line in the book would describe these first days of (semi) retirement: “And on that bed there is a granny, a snoring granny on a cozy bed in a napping house, where everyone is sleeping.” 

Yes, Larry and I have been taking naps.  In fact, I think there were a couple of days with two naps.  These are words of absolute shame for the workaholic woman that I’ve been for so long.  A non-Sunday-afternoon nap?  How could it be? 

Here’s what I’ve discovered – it’s about recovering a natural rhythm to the day, sleeping in the morning until my body wakes up, and sleeping in the day when my body feels weary.  As I take on new ministry and writing projects, I won’t have the luxury of sleeping during the day forever, but during this month of retirement/vacation, I’m snuggling into that cozy bed, knowing that before long Madelyn and I may be joined by a dozing dog, a snoozing cat, a slumbering mouse and a wakeful flea who bites the mouse – well, you can figure out the rest – or read the book!

Writing in “The Message,” Eugene Peterson shares words of Jesus from Matthew 11: “I'll show you how to take a real rest . . . Learn the unforced rhythms of grace."  Whether it’s physical rest, the peace of solitude, or a beach walk accompanied by the pulse of the ocean, I’m grateful for the pace of these days.  But I remember Lucy Ricardo’s confident “this is easy” in the chocolate factory assembly line, so when the supervisor yells, “speed it up a little,” I want the unforced rhythms of grace to continue to be the metronome that measures my days.             

No comments:

Post a Comment