Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence Day Musings

Independence Day. For my sister's 50th birthday celebration, we went to Splash Lagoon, a waterpark in Erie, PA.  We took turns keeping an eye on the lovely Madelyn Simone, who at nearly 2 1/2 is asserting her independence minute by minute.  I could sit on the edge of the kiddie area and watch her splash to her heart's content, but when she went towards the slides, I'd be sure to catch her before she swooshed down and plunged into the water.

A time or two, I had to rush after her when she went past the confines of the kiddie area and was within steps of the deep water of the adjoining lily pad feature.  While she understands the concept of "stop," she doesn't always heed the command, so I had to grab onto her before she found herself over her head.

Independence.  John 8:36.  "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."  Free from sin - yes, redeemed, forgiven, but not free to keep on sinning, and not free from the consequences of our actions and thoughts.  Free to choose?  Absolutely, but the choices either draw us closer to God or  find us running away from his care.  Free to be, as my friend Lucille recently reminded me, free to thrive, free to love.  Yet still we pray:  "Circle me, Lord.  Keep protection near and danger afar."  Let me be aware of deep water and of the times when I run away from you instead of running after you.  Draw me, Lord.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment