Saturday, April 8, 2017

Not Your Grandmother's Library!

As a young child, a trip to the City of Tonawanda’s public library was a treat. Housed in the former train station, its footprint was tiny but its influence great, extending my world beyond the boundaries of my hometown. A voracious reader, I plowed through the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys series, dreamed of becoming the next Clara Barton or Marie Curie, and was introduced to the intricacies of the Dewey Decimal System.

A spanking brand-new facility was opened in 1964, and I pedaled my bicycle weekly to the enticing shelves of the new library. Soon, my attention shifted from the children’s section to the adventures of young adult books, not yet the dedicated genre of today’s literature. Indiscriminate in my selections, I read of science and history, of biography and fiction both ancient and new.

And then came my first trip to the main library on Lafayette Square in downtown Buffalo. With 400,000+ square feet of wonder, I barely knew where to start. This library had approximately two million books in its possession. In those pre-google days, we still wrote research papers using card catalogues and the Reader’s Guide to Periodical Literature, so access to those additional resources was life-changing.

In subsequent years, community libraries, university libraries, and the seminary library right here in Ashland have become dear friends, so my heart was gladdened a few weeks ago when the lovely Madelyn Simone asked, “Can we go to the library?” Since Madelyn and the delightful Elizabeth Holiday were having an overnight visit to our home when the question was raised, I buckled them into their car seats and headed for the Ashland Public Library. Madelyn had visited the library with me in the past, but she had no idea the library had a new look. After generous gifts from the estates of Ines Page and Nancy Stockwell, the library got more than a makeover; it received a facelift, with the goal of creating “a community atmosphere that fosters a stop-and-stay mindset.

If my granddaughters’ reaction was any indication of the achievement of that goal, the APL was extremely successful in accomplishing what they set out to do. We were at the library for at least two hours, and only part of our time was spent running, crawling, sliding and climbing in the new play area. We also used our imagination to create art, race cars and trucks, and build towers. Madelyn carefully selected books to borrow, including a chapter book she is learning to read on her own. So excited to share the joys of reading with her! On the other hand, her little sister delighted in removing books from the shelves just because she could. If I have any complaint about the new configuration, it’s the lack of a wall to keep our busy toddler from escaping to the reference section. They may not have a treadmill, but I certainly got my exercise quota for the day.

We definitely enjoyed the “stop and stay” feel of the library, but I especially appreciate the broader goal of community atmosphere that pervades the library. As a child, I was taught to whisper, to choose a book and to head home. But now, in a world where libraries could easily become victims to the internet and the e-book, more than ever they are becoming places to gather, to learn, and to become better acquainted with our neighbors.

I’m excited to participate in two of those learning experiences. The first is April 17, when Diana Spore, Judy McLaughlin and I will be leading a workshop, “Journaling for Caregivers.” I’ll also be teaching “Self Publishing 101” on May 8th. The library’s website can fill you in on details and registration requirements (if any) of these and many other community education opportunities. As the Stark County District Library reminds us, the library is “the smart store: where everything is free.”


I just checked my column word count, and I’m out of words already. But the Ashland and Loudonville Public Libraries have plenty of space for words – and for people of all ages. National Library Week begins today, the perfect time to discover for yourself that it’s “not your grandmother’s library” any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment