Saturday, December 15, 2012


In the Bleak Midwinter

Christina G. Rossetti (19th century)

 

What can I give him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd,
I would bring a lamb;
If I were a wise man,
I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give him —
Give my heart.

 

            Often used as a stand-alone quotation, Rossetti’s ‘what can I give him’ verse was the 5th stanza of the poem and carol, In the Bleak Midwinter.  Her simple question continues to be one of significance:  What can I give him?  From the perspective of the one with no lamb and none of the riches of the Magi, empty hands seem unable to bring a gift of value to the Saviour.  

            Yet even for those of us who are able to bring a material item of value to the manger of the Christ Child, Rossetti’s answer becomes the one of most value – ‘give my heart.’   Because in the end, what can we truly give to Christ?  After all, all that we have comes to us from God. 

As Frances Havergal suggests in her beloved hymn, we can give (offer to God for the taking) our moments, our days, our hands, our feet, our voices, our lips, our silver and gold, and our intellect.  Yet she too concludes with Rossetti.  It is the self that remains ours to give, and that becomes the most precious, the most profound gift to the Christ:

 

Take my will, and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord, I pour at Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself, and I will be ever, only, all for Thee.     

 

Prayer Focus:  take my life

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment