Sunday, December 9, 2012

An Advent Prayer for December 9


Morning Star (A Moravian Hymn)

Johannes Scheffler (17th century)

 

Morning Star, O cheering sight!

Ere Thou cam’st, how dark the night!

Jesus mine, in me shine,

Fill my heart with light divine.

Morning Star, thy glory bright

Far excels the sun’s clear light,

Jesus be, constantly,

More than thousand suns to me.

 

When living in Philadelphia, we were privileged to journey to Bethlehem (Pennsylvania, not Judea) to attend a traditional Christmas observance known as the Moravian Love Feast.  Surrounded by the soft glow of the beeswax candles, we sang of the heraldic angels, the shepherds who faithfully watched o’er their flocks by night, and the sweet, holy child in a manger.  I still get chills running down my spine as I remember the presence of God in that music.

Coffee and sweet rolls were shared during the service, an expression of the love feast marked within the Moravian Church.  After the transcendent majesty and mystery of the music, the gracious offering of hospitality was a particular reminder of the immanence of God in the incarnation. 

            It is from this tradition that we pray the prayer of the morning star.  “Jesus mine, in me shine, Jesus be, constantly, more than thousand suns to me.”  Jesus said, “I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star” (Rev. 22:16).  As such, the morning star proclaims that the night has ended, that new light has come. 

            It is no coincidence that within the Moravian tradition, this carol-prayer is a responsive one led by children, just as Isaiah 11 promises.  “A little child shall lead them.”  So we pray today the child-like, profound words as the light of the Morning Star shines upon us:  “Jesus mine, in me shine.” 

 

Prayer Focus:  shine in me, Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment