Sunday, October 31, 2021

Let the Words of My Mouth

A meme tells of a young child learning to read from a book about the zoo, when he proudly uttered the words, “a frickin’ elephant.” Not pleased with the child’s choice of language, his teacher asked to see the page in question, and there it was: “African elephant.” Oops!

 

A three-word phrase is currently trending across the United States of America: “Let’s go Brandon.” It began with an interview of a NASCAR winner in Alabama, and it’s been chanted at the World Series and in football games across the country, and spoken on the floor of the U.S. Senate. It’s code for a phrase that begins with a word starting with “f” and ending in “uck” – and isn’t “firetruck.” Use your imagination. This word is directed at the current president of the United States. Google Brandon Brown for the full story. 

 

As the former illustrious columnist for the Ashland Times-Gazette, I’ve had some negative words sent my way, resulting in my determination to “never read the comments” on the newspaper’s website. To my knowledge, my critics didn’t rise to the level of those who’ve responded to USA Today’s Connie Schulz, recently called a toxic progressive misanthrope in a sentence that included the father-uncle-cousin-Kate code word (see above), along with a threat to her life.

 

Jotting these words down on a Sunday morning, I wonder how those who will lift up the name of Jesus in the next few hours can rationalize using words in such a way. I’m tempted to call out names, but it’s in the senate records and recorded on video.

 

What does a believer do with scriptures such as I Peter 2:17 (show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor) or Hebrews 13:17, Romans 13 or 1 Timothy 2? Or even the “love one another” command of Jesus? Do these biblical words belong in the category of the Old Testament prohibitions against eating pork and shellfish, or killing a thief during the day?  Why are we calling each other names, threatening each other, or using words (or code words) that connected soap to our childish tongue?  Do biblical commands mean so little? 

 

Psalm 19 suggests an alternative to father-uncle-cousin-kate, whether encoded or not: “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.” 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment