Saturday, December 19, 2020

Images of Advent from the Silver Screen - December 19

December 19

Love Actually

 

The movie Love Actually fits in the rom-com genre (romantic comedy for the uninitiated), probably a step or two above the look-alike Hallmark movies of Christmas. Centered around Billy Mack, an aging rock star, the film listens in on the lives of eight couples as they attempt to navigate their relationships during the weeks leading up to Christmas.

I was struck by the words of the British Prime Minister in the film: “Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion’s starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don’t see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it’s not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it’s always there – fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. . . If you look for it, I’ve got a sneaky feeling you’ll find that love actually is all around.” 

Just as we see through the lens of a half empty or half full glass, we can also see the world around us through a lens of good or evil, of love or hatred. While I’m fully aware that evil exists, I choose not to be on the lookout for it around every corner. Instead, in these days I’m hanging on to the words of Billy Mack that “love is all around.” No need for it to be dignified or newsworthy – sloppy kisses are just fine with me.

 

Above all, clothe yourselves with love, 

which binds us all together in perfect harmony. 

Colossians 3:14

No comments:

Post a Comment