Saturday, September 16, 2017

Burn It Down

I’ve been enamored with story for as long as I can remember. Whether through oral tradition, book, or film, the telling of a story grabs my attention in ways that border on addiction. If I give myself permission, I can watch Law and Order reruns endlessly, captured by the opening tease and the “so-do” of its haunting theme music. 

I’m often on the lookout for stories with historical content or personal connections to place or person. When we first moved into our house, I had great hopes of discovering a diary or journal under the eaves of the attic in the hundred-year home, as I knew its walls had great stories to tell. But alas, no literary discovery has been made.

My friend Judy (best known as the Dr. Judy of Kroc Center fame), is in possession of pages from a nineteenth-century diary that she shared with our writing group. The writer detailed her days on the farm, and as Judy read, I jotted down my favorite phrase: “Today, I basted my corset.” I’m glad that’s not on my to-do list for this week.

Often, the words scribbled on the pages of our daily lives are just as ordinary as the corset-construction, little different from social media posts detailing meals prepared and trips taken. So when my friend Pete handed me a paint-splattered folder, filled with onion-skin pages of typing and penciled words in cursive handwriting, I wondered if I’d find any corsets between its covers. Instead, as I created a Word document to preserve the pages of his mother’s writing and to print a few copies for his family and friends, I found a wonderful combination of history, adventure, and philosophy woven throughout the true account of a young family’s attempt at a “Green Acres” type of life, absent the television-watching pig, Arnold Ziffel.

If the plot line of “Green Acres” is a bit hazy, it told of Oliver Wendell Douglas (Eddie Albert), a New York lawyer, and his wife, Lisa (Eva Gabor), who, sight unseen, bought a rundown farm in Hooterville. It’s hard now to believe the popular network comedy debuted more than fifty years ago, as I can still sing along with the theme song. “Green Acres is the place to be, farm living is the life for me . . .”

Almost twenty years before the Douglas family decided to move to Hooterville to follow Oliver’s dreams, Larry and Alice Twitchell forged their own path from the city to Mifflin, Ohio. Had Alice’s account of their experience on a run-down farm not languished in that folder since the mid-fifties, I might have thought their small farm had inspired the popular comedy show, as they had nearly as many misadventures as did Oliver and Lisa.

Their only vehicle was a surplus army truck that served as tractor and family car. A middle-of-the-night ceiling collapse, the cantankerous oil stove, (evil smelling varmint that it was), the vagrant bovine Josephine, and brandy-fed chickens all give a glimpse of humor alongside the back-breaking work of life on a farm with no running water, no electricity, and a land so worn out that “even the weeds look tired and weak.”

Like Oliver, they too hoped for a new life, even as they were urged to abandon their dream. “No matter what you do to this,” said Larry’s brother Jack, “it’ll never be any better than its worst. All of his work will be just thrown away. If it were mine, I’d burn it down.” Larry responded to Alice, “If you can stand this discouraging place, we’ll do our best to make it work.”

And that they did. The young carpenter and his artist-wife created “the frame in which we shall dwell,” a simple home, an adequate livelihood, and a childhood remembered with joy and adventure rather than deprivation.

In recording her experiences and her philosophical observations, Alice Twitchell collected “fragments out of life” that she was afraid might “die away when the telling is done.” Fortunately, hers is a story whose telling is not yet done, as “the essence of new dreams richly blend with the old” in her book, “Burn It Down,” now available at Local Roots and amazon.com.


 https://www.createspace.com/7379175


No comments:

Post a Comment