Saturday, November 7, 2015

Friday Night Lights

My high school athletic career started with enthusiasm, but petered out during an undistinguished stint with the track team. To make up for my personal sports deficit, I’ve vicariously experienced the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat as long as I can remember, and this month is giving me plenty of opportunity for both.

Here’s  the agony. (I’m a ‘give me the bad news first’ kind of person). Four consecutive Super Bowls. Four consecutive losses. That’s an anguish only a Buffalo Bills fan can fully grasp. I hoped for a fresh start when I moved to Northeast Ohio, but the Brownies haven’t cooperated. After last Sunday’s debacle, I wondered what advantage a visibly bruised and battered QB provides? Might as well paint a target on his jersey. Johnny fared a bit better Thursday night, but only because he can run away faster. At least there’s one bright light for local fans – Ashland University grad Jamie Meder at defensive end.

As for the Cleveland Indians, why does it always seem to be too little, too late? Yet by April, I’ll be tuning in with renewed hope as Tom Hamilton woos me back into the fold with his enticing invitation: “We’re underway at the the corner of Carnegie and Ontario.” Play ball!

Basketball has been a third choice for me over the years, but I’ll admit it: I’m hooked on the Cleveland Cavaliers. I know I’m being played by their marketing department, but I like being Facebook friends with Kevin, Delly, and Kyrie. I may share LeBron’s “friendship” with 22 million other people, but I like being one of the popular kids. The clips of their Halloween party were brilliant, with Delly in operating room scrubs, J.R. Smith with diaper, bib and baby bottle, Kevin Love appearing as a perfectly mustached Jackie Moon from the movie Semi-Pro, and ‘Prince’ LeBron singing “Purple Rain.” Yes, I know how much money they make, but it’s still fun to watch a bunch of super-tall kids being silly together.

Basketball may be underway, but it is still Autumn in Ohio, still football weather. Once again, the Ohio State Buckeyes are on top of the polls, number one in the country, having survived undefeated to this point. Go Bucks! But something just as exciting is happening on local gridirons, on Friday nights at Community Stadium and on Saturdays at Jack Miller Stadium. What a season for the Ashland University Eagles. With their last regular season game today at 1 p.m., a win will cap off a perfect 2015 regular season. They may “only” be Division II, but we’ve witnessed some amazing football in purple and gold. We’re on a role, Dr. Campo. Hope you’re enjoying your first football season in Ashland.

Not to be overshadowed, the Ashland Arrows finished their regular season 9-1, losing only to their nemesis neighbor Wooster, and played their first playoff game last night. Writing during the week, I’m sending good vibes to Scott Valentine and his players for a win, as we’d love to spend our Friday nights in November under the lights. Win or lose, our hometown Arrows will continue to stand strong and proud, cheering our cross country runners at the state finals today and celebrating successful seasons with their tennis, volleyball, golf, soccer and cross-country brothers and sisters.

Friday night football is much more than the boys on the field. Cheerleaders, band members, the student section, and even the sophomore class cleaning up the stadium after each game – all contribute to a shared experience of pride and accomplishment.

Yet on the turf and trails, courts and courses of our community, high school and college athletics go beyond competition. Former Baltimore Raven’s linebacker Ray Lewis gets it. “Don’t walk through life just playing football. Don’t walk through life just being an athlete. Athletics will fade. Character and integrity and really making an impact on someone’s life, that’s the ultimate vision, that’s the ultimate goal – bottom line.” Enhanced by their participation in athletics and yes, the arts as well, character is being formed in our young men and women, and our community is strengthened. Glad to say it – we’re Ashland proud!


No comments:

Post a Comment