Saturday, August 1, 2015

There's Always Next Year

True Confession. I love Facebook. I love to be able to connect with friends, to type my happy birthday wishes instead of trying to remember to send a card, and to attempt to boost my book sales from time to time, not very successfully, I’m afraid. And I love hearing from friends around the world when I post my T-G column on Facebook each week. I got lots of reaction from the Unadulterated Triscuit column, and I keep expecting to get a box or two in the mail.

However, I’m having issues with Facebook because it allows my friends to post photos from Maine. This is the time of year when we make our annual pilgrimage to the ocean, where many Salvation Army friends gather for shared worship in the grove, nightly fun at the pier, and the welcoming sand and surf. But unfortunately, RJ’s Spraypark at the Kroc Center was the closest I got to water this week.

When we made the decision to forgo our Maine vacation this year, it made perfect sense. We really couldn’t afford the expense, and we were anticipating that our new granddaughter, the delightful Elizabeth Holiday, would only be a week or so old – definitely not the time to leave Ohio.
It turns out that due to her early arrival, E.H. is already six weeks old, so we could have gone to Maine.  And now I am being bombarded with reminders of what I’m missing by way of Facebook. Jealousy and Envy may be high on the list of sins, but I’m asking for absolution in advance for my wayward ways, at least for this week.

Feeling bad about staying home, I suggested our family try to replicate our Old Orchard Beach, Maine vacation right here in Ohio. Brilliant idea, right? The Despicable Me movies have traditionally been a good option for rainy days in Maine. Pop-Pop falls asleep halfway through the movie, and we all laugh at those pesky yet adorable Minions. So we went to see The Minion Movie together, just like Maine. Pop-Pop stayed awake this time, but Unkie fell asleep. Somebody has to – it’s tradition!

Maybe, I thought, we could go for a ride together and get lost like we usually do on our way to Two Lights. Or we could walk around Ashland in our bathing suits – NOT! I’m not even brave enough to wear my bathing suit at the spraypark.

Another favorite pastime of ours in Maine is eating fresh seafood after church, but when I suggested Long John Silvers for lunch, I was met with rolled eyes and groans. Really, Mom? I don’t dare mention lobster rolls, Pier Fries, or Lisa’s Pizza. But in honor of my annual Dairy Queen ‘date’ with a dear friend, we talked for about an hour on the phone and I did order a hot fudge sundae at our local DQ. Somehow,  it didn’t taste quite as good without Lauren.

I’ve always tried to look on the bright side of life, so realizing that I won’t have to spend two mortgage payments to rent a house for the week does my heart and my checkbook good. There won’t be any sand in my sandwich, and our lunch will be safe from the seagulls. No sunburn either. It is a terribly long ride from Ohio to Maine, and we always manage to experience at least an hour or two of bumper-to-bumper traffic – won’t miss that either.


Life as a Northeast Ohio sports fan teaches us that we can’t always get what we want in life. I am grateful for our memories of years gone by, and, jealousy aside, for the joy my friends are finding at the ocean. It wasn’t to be this summer and I’m OK with that. As for our family, we’ll take a page from the Cavs, the Indians, and the Browns: “There’s always next year.” Lord willing and the creek don’t rise, next July we’ll be stuck in traffic on the road to the ocean, as the lovely Madelyn Simone and the delightful Elizabeth Holiday watch the minions on the DVD player. Can you say, “Be-do, be-do, be-do?” Can’t wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment