Saturday, April 25, 2015

Cheering for Ashland

As a young teen-ager, I had to make a choice. Would I pursue music, with its mandated marching band performances, or would I try out for the cheer-leading squad? I had the enthusiasm to root fiercely for my team, but my coordination was suspect, so I stuck with eight steps for every five yards, as well as the occasional back step-twirl-four of our halftime shows. In hindsight, I’m convinced that marching with a piccolo was definitely easier than performing a Hurdler, a Herkie, or a Toe-Touch with the cheer-leading squad.  

While I never got to have the maroon and white sweater, pom-poms and megaphone, I’ve always admired those who could spur others on by their enthusiasm and encouragement. So let me put on my cheerleader hat for a few moments to do some boosting and boasting for Ashland.

We’ve got quite a bit to cheer for these days, but two events of the last week caught my eye and I believe some rah-rah-sis-boom-bah is in order. My first shout-out is for the Ashland City Schools. It is great to see the new facilities nearing completion here in our community. Education isn’t defined by the shape or size of the classroom, but our kids and teachers deserve safe, functional educational space – and they’re getting it.

Quite a memorable event celebrated the transition from the old auditorium (McDowell) to the new one (Archer). How fitting that McDowell’s swan song was the poignant number from the Sound of Music: “So Long, Farewell.” Indeed, we do “leave and heave a sigh and say good-bye.” You were quite the lady in your prime, and we will definitely miss you, old girl. You’ve done well, giving us much joy over the last eighty-eight years, but now it’s time for the music to ring out in another venue, the Robert M. and Janet L. Archer Auditorium. Congratulations to all of the donors, the architects, construction workers and contractors, and Superintendent Doug Marrah for creating such a marvelous performance space for Ashland. Hip, Hip, Hooray!

Here’s my #2 shout-out. Let’s hear it for our United Way, recently designated the Ohio United Way of the Year. I’m not sure that this award comes with anything more tangible than a plaque for the wall, but what a wonderful honor for our community. The inimitable Ev DeVaul, supported every day by staff and board members, has created a model United Way right here in Ashland County. I’ve been around the social service world for a long time, and I’ve seen a variety of United Way organizations at work, but I’ve never seen anything quite like the United Way of Ashland County.

In trying to explain its success, it seems to me that a healthy spirit of community connection and care is combined with a strong work ethic, and then sprinkled with a generous dose of joy (otherwise known as fun). If you want to see that recipe in action, visit the United Way’s Ring in Spring at the Fairgrounds on May 9th. There’s barely enough room on the poster to announce all of the activities of the day, with Kiwanis pancakes, a 5K, a petting zoo, and fun activities for all ages. Be sure to stop in and congratulate Ev and his team for a well-deserved recognition – and spend a buck or two in support of United Way.

We’ve all experienced negative comments that cut to the bone, and those words slip all too easily from our lips at times. But I’m glad to shake my pom-poms in affirmation today, not just for the schools and United Way, but for all of us. No matter what challenges we face, we can do right for our kids, we can care for the weakest among us, and we can truly live united. As David Schwartz understands, “Believing there is a solution paves the way to a solution.” It wasn’t easy to pass the levy, nor is it easy to reach deeper into our pockets for additional tax dollars or for United Way contributions. But I’m grateful we live in a community where belief combines with effort to find the right solutions for our future. Way to go, Ashland!


No comments:

Post a Comment