Friday, February 6, 2015

That Radical Woman

During a conversation with a friend about my writing a number of years ago, he remarked, “you know, there are some people who see you as JoAnn Shade, that radical woman.” I didn’t know whether to smile and thank him, attempt to rebut the conclusion, or laugh.  But his comment has both caused me discomfort and confirmed a sense of purpose, as I’ve considered what it means to truly be “that radical woman.”
The discomfort comes from a not-too-healthy place within, from the voice that reminds me all too often that I will always be on the outside looking in, and that as long as I continue to speak and write, I will not fully belong within the ministry organization I have given my life’s work to.  Mine is the voice that raises the issues that others whisper about, questions of opportunity for women and men alike, as well as questions of justice and hope.  I ask “why?” but I also ask “why not?” Certainly I’m not nearly as radical as I could be (or should be?), but for some within a patriarchal system, any idea that rocks the boat is considered extremist. 
But I must admit that I do like the description.  After all, the word radical in its essence means “from the root.”  If I, as a woman, write “from the root,” from the basis of my faith and worldview as a follower of Christ, I must embrace that description of myself with joy.  Borrowing from the old song, “it is a thing most wonderful.” People read what I write, and it makes a difference.  I find words to describe their feelings and experiences, as well as ways to challenge them to a new or different way of thinking. 
            Regardless of my reaction to the comment, I do understand that to be labeled in such a way is to be ‘marked’ within the traditional church.  It may be that as you are reading this article, you recognize yourself as ‘marked’ as well.  You may simply think differently than most in your church, or you may be drawn deeper into contemplative prayer than others you know.  Perhaps you have radical ideas about what women should be able to do in the church, or a passionate love for Jesus that struggles to fit within contemporary life.  Don’t lose hope – you are in good company. 
Jesus was ‘marked’ at the beginning of his ministry, as described in Luke 4.  Most likely within hours of his declaration in Nazareth, “the Spirit of the Lord is upon me,” he was driven out of town, taken to the brow of the hill, and threatened with death.  While “he walked right through the crowd and went on his way,” from that point on, Jesus was a marked man.  Paul experienced this as well, testifying that “I bear on my body the marks of Jesus” (Galatians 6:17).    
What does it look like to walk with grace as a marked woman?  It begins with humility, for the mark of Christ upon his daughter must never become a glittering tiara that draws attention to the bearer.  Humility offers, but does not demand one specific conclusion.  Humility “test(s) the truth and then trust(s) the process of truth to determine the outcome” (Brueggemann, Hopeful Imagination, 62).  Humility wears the prophet’s mantle lightly, carefully. 
            Courage walks side by side with humility.  Courage is willing to be wounded, for she is acquainted with the Healer.  Courage submits to the branding of the radical label, knowing that she will never escape its touch upon her soul.  Courage refuses to speak with a flattened tongue.  
            I am reminded, as well, that to be ‘marked’ is truly a gift.  Again, Brueggemann is helpful, as he teaches that, “such radical faith is not an achievement, for if it were we would will it and be done.  Rather, it is a gift and we are left to wait receptively, to watch and to pray” (the Prophetic Imagination, 112).

            A favorite greeting card I received quotes Maya Angelou: “a woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing.  She goes where she will without pretense and arrives at her destination, prepared to be herself and only herself.”  Without pretense; yes.  Yet it is the harmony with the Spirit of God that ultimately marks the Christ-follower.  A radical woman?  I can only pray that I might be worthy of the gift of that label.   

No comments:

Post a Comment