Saturday, January 17, 2015

What My Calendar Says About Me

Toward the end of 2014, I bought myself a new calendar at my favorite bargain store to serve as a placeholder until I could find one I really liked. So far, that hasn’t happened, and the calendar’s big, blank pages glare at me with the question of what 2015 will bring.

Like many of my peers who grew up in B.C. (before computers), I struggle with having one foot on the solid dock of paper and the other foot in the boat of cyberspace and technology. While I love being able to whip out my cell phone to take a picture of the lovely Madelyn Simone or to check out a fact on the internet, I’m not ready to trust my weekly schedule to the wiles of modern technology. After all, what if I lost my phone (been there, done that) or phone service goes down? No, I’m sticking with a calendar I can write on with a pen.

So when I was in a meeting last week at the Massillon Museum, I opened my big, nondescript calendar to select a date for a future meeting. The museum’s director glanced over at my calendar and said, “Wow! Look at all that blank space!”
Did I detect a hint of judgment in her tone, or was it envy, as her calendar overflows with the day-to-day responsibility of running a cultural institution, participating in the life of the Massillon community, and preparing for impending motherhood? I, on the other hand, felt my own twinge of envy as I looked at her full plate, remembering the sense of accomplishment I felt when I, too, had a similar responsibility at the Ashland Kroc Center. While I love the rhythm of my life in these days of semi-retirement, I do miss having one main focus that helped to mold my days.

Since I’ve worn the self-selected cape of superwoman for so long, I also felt a bit of shame at the vacant spaces on my calendar. When I got home, I was tempted to pencil in words like “T-G column due,” “educational enhancement with MSS” (my Nana days with the lovely Madelyn Simone), or “preparation for staff training on self-care and time management,” one of this week’s tasks that didn’t make it to the embarrassingly empty pages of my calendar. 

The truth is that I do have a lot on my to-do list, and I don’t sit around eating bon-bons or watching Say Yes to the Dress, although I did succumb once to that temptation between Christmas and New Year’s, substituting pecan turtles for the bon-bons. I worked until midnight twice this week on a funding proposal, and I’m finishing this column with about an hour to spare before deadline, so yes, I’m busy – or at least undisciplined. But my calendar, that all-inclusive document that kept me somewhat organized for so many years, doesn’t show it. And, at least at first, I felt guilty.

With a milestone birthday nipping at my heels, I am reflecting on this season of life and how to reframe my definitions of success, accomplishment and even value. Benedictine Sister Joan Chittister reminds me that “Life is a growing thing going from seed to sapling, from pillar to post, hither and yon, forwards and backwards but always, always toward its purpose, the shaping of the self into a person of quality, compassion and joy.” Who has lived well? Chittister answers her own question: “Those who have sucked the juice of life from every period of its growing,” finding themselves to be “more human, more wise, more kindly, more just, more flexible, more integrated.”


I’m recognizing that this period of growing is shifting my guiding images from superwoman to midwife, from warrior to wise woman. I’m becoming content to lead the way less and come alongside more. To soothe my ego, I am going to buy a new calendar with smaller pages so I don’t look quite so derelict. Yet as I “suck the juice” from these days, it is with a deep appreciation for my present season of life, the unforced rhythms of grace (Matthew 10:28-30, The Message), and plenty of sticky granddaughter kisses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment