Saturday, December 13, 2014

The Best Christmas Gifts

I have friends who swear by on-line shopping, completing the purchases on their entire Christmas list from the comfort of their own home. Not me. I remain a loyal shop-‘til-you-drop, let me see it, touch it consumer – especially if it’s located on the clearance rack. 

I wonder if those who only shop on-line lose out on the “what will they think of next?” experience. I’ve said that often as Christmas merchandise has flooded the stores of Northeast Ohio. Who thinks up these new products? Did you know that you could bless someone with a Chia Zombie this Christmas? Just the ticket for my “Walking Dead” friends.

One intriguing gadget is the wireless selfie stick with in-handle Bluetooth shutter control. Considering I can’t even figure out which way to hold the phone to attempt a selfie, I don’t think I’m up for a wireless selfie stick just yet.

While I didn’t see these in the big box stores yet, a radio spot suggested I purchase matching pajamas for the entire family so we could be appropriately dressed when we tear open our gifts on the morning of December 25. And to make the offer even more enticing, I can get matching pajamas for Freckles and Nala, our granddogs. The sleepwear comes in a variety of styles, including holiday stripe, deer, forest and Santa. On sale, they’d set me back $420 plus shipping. That’s a family tradition we won’t be starting this year, although the pictures would be classic.

It’s also obvious there are beaucoup bucks to be made in branded merchandise, but how much is too much? One website boasted of 784 ‘Frozen’ products. I dearly love Elsa and Anna from the movie Frozen, but I really don’t need a Disney Frozen Olaf Waffle Maker – we use a toaster for frozen waffles! Perfume, makeup, shoes, video games, and a glitter lamp – all available in time for Christmas delight. I looked at a plastic Elsa cup that I thought the lovely Madelyn Simone might enjoy, but its $10 price tag scared me off. Come to find out, it provided a space for a snack and a drink, all in the same container. What a deal.

Writing in “The Independent,” a British newspaper, Binyamen Appelbaum provides background on Disney merchandising. “Disney characters have been endorsing products since 1929, when Walt Disney put Mickey Mouse on a writing tablet. But licensing, which began as a sideline, has become the main event. In most years, Disney makes more money from selling branded movie merchandise than from the actual movies.” Josh Silverstein, Disney’s VP for Global Licensing, explains it this way: “We create products that extend the story-telling – the emotional connection that the consumer has when they’re seeing the film carries on in the three dimensional world.” What a precious sentiment.

He’s right, especially if the consumer is a four-year-old girl or her smitten grandmother. And yes, I did buy Madelyn an Elsa dress, but on hindsight, I wish I’d held out for the dress that lights up and sings. I am pleased, however, that Madelyn owns one of the more than three million Frozen dresses Disney has already sold in North America. That’s enough to outfit every four-year-old girl on the continent.
When Madelyn and I pretend to be the Frozen girls, she claims the role of Elsa and I’m relegated to Anna, who I happen to like better than Elsa anyway. Plus, Anna gets to sing more songs. But I do draw the line at wearing an Anna costume to the playground or the mall. But wait – maybe Frozen could be our theme for Christmas morning. My husband Larry would be adorable as Olaf, and the dogs could be Sven the reindeer.


But back to the shopping. What about the guys on my list? The challenges of product licensing may help me get a bargain on a Browns jersey, especially with a quarterback’s name printed on the back. What about Couch? Holcomb? Quinn? Anderson? McCoy? Weeden? I knew I should have hedged my bets and bought a reversible jersey with Hoyer on one side and Manziel on the other. But it’s OK – there are still twelve shopping days until Christmas,

No comments:

Post a Comment