Saturday, February 15, 2014

Sochi Olympics


After years of anticipation, the 2014 Sochi Olympic Games are off and running – or should I say skating and slaloming? I snuggled up to watch the opening ceremony, but somewhere between the entrance of the US delegation and the Russians, I was off to dreamland. So I’ve had to depend on Facebook to fill me in on the rest of the evening. How did we ever have the Olympic without Facebook? The commentary is much better than the talking heads on television.

First reaction? What’s with the American sweaters? My friend got it right: “Uh, I think we won the Patriotic ugly sweater contest – thanks, Ralph Lauren.” Stylish or not, I was relieved to know they were “made in the USA,” one of my dad’s mantras. The sweaters themselves are a patchwork of American craftsmanship — of wool carded from Oregon, spun in Pennsylvania and North Carolina, and knit in California. Here’s the best news – if you are an Olympics groupie, you can get your own for just $595.00

As in many modern day Olympics, the opening ceremony did seem a bit over the top. The overview of the complex history of Russia and its amazing cultural contributions was eye-opening, but, like another Facebook friend noted, “I didn’t get the dancing marshmallows.” I’ve had that feeling before, as when viewing some contemporary art or listening to opera. Am I the only one who doesn’t get it, or do others just pretend they do?

I felt bad for the Olympic orphans walking without a flag. Apparently India was suspended from the Olympics due to alleged corruption, and its three athletes had to enter under the Olympic banner. I love what shooter Mansher Singh had to say about his orphan status: “When you see your flag in the opening ceremony, you feel like a warrior for your country . . . It's a great feeling and you kind of swear in your chest." I wonder if that’s a guy thing? Fortunately, that controversy has been resolved, so while India may not achieve gold in Sochi, at least their athletes will be able to swear in their chests at the closing ceremony.

There have been concerns expressed over the possibility of terrorism at the games, a very real threat in our contemporary world on such a world stage. One Facebooker commented: “I'm afraid the terrorists they've been warning about made it into the stadium and have taken over the sound system. The music they are playing during the Parade of Nations could qualify as torture.” See my comment on marshmallows and opera above.

The Russian venue has had some logistical difficulties, and while the athletes’ villages are said to be good, there have been some housing issues for the press and other guests. My West Coast friend said it best: “I’m totally over the complaints about accommodation conditions in Russia. It's Russia . . . I mean, like what do you expect? Didn't you see Dr. Zhivago? 

One last Facebook comment: “Those opening ceremonies were incredible. Now bring on the Curling.” I’ve been a sports fan since I was a young child, but I’ll reveal my deep, dark secret on the pages of the Ashland Times-Gazette. I don’t get curling. What’s the point? I suppose I’d better watch my back now that I’ve made a public statement on the subject, because those curling folks are intense. Watching curling with the family does tend to bring up remarks about women with brooms, but some things you just have to ignore.

Beyond the ugly sweaters and the giant marshmallows, the Olympics have certainly livened up these long, cold February evenings. We each have our favorite event, as does my young friend Leo, who asked, “Mom, when this [speed skating] is done, can we watch the girls spin around with their Daddies?” We marvel at the grit and determination these young people exhibit, and we hold our collective breath as they experience the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. I’ll be sad to see the 2014 Olympics come to an end, but don’t despair, for in thirty months, we’ll have Tiger Woods, rugby and beach volleyball in Rio. Can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment