Saturday, December 14, 2013

Breath-taking Christmas Sweaters


“U-G-L-Y, you ain’t got no alibi.” That memorable phrase from the stellar film “Wildcats” kept tumbling through my mind as I attended an Ugly Christmas Sweater office party this week. If beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder, then it stands to reason that ugly is in the eye of the beholder as well, and the attire of the party-goers attested to that truth.
It was a brilliant concept, for while most of the attendees work in the same building, they are separated by floors and departments, and the sweaters served as a natural icebreaker among those who didn’t know each other well. Fortunately, we were spared some of the more bizarre get-ups found on the ugly Christmas sweater websites, which, if you want to check them out, are located right next to the twenty-five adorable Christmas cat photos. Rather surprisingly, no one came as a matching pair of camels, dogs, or snowmen, nor did anyone wear a Christmas tree skirt. Whew!
I also discovered that an Ugly Christmas Sweater benefit in Kansas City has raised over $100,000 for charity since its inception in 2005. What a great idea. Perhaps Ev DeVaul and his United Way dream-it-up team will run with that one next year.

I had quite the dilemma as I tried to decide what to wear for this festive occasion. My daily dress for more than thirty-five years was navy blue and white, but at Christmas, I liked to top off my Salvation Army work uniform with a festive sweater for our nightly kettle counting parties. I’m ashamed to admit that I have an entire tub of Christmas finery – socks, scarves, pajama pants, and some pretty garish sweaters – and my prized “You’re going to shoot your eye out’ tee-shirt. Reviewing my choices for the party, I determined that if I ever need to stave off bankruptcy, I could auction off a few of my sweaters for the next ugly Christmas sweater event. Yes, I really did wear those once upon a time.
Now I’m afraid I will hesitate to choose a sweater from my collection the next time I need an extra dash of holiday spirit, in case someone might ask me if I’m on my way to an Ugly Christmas Sweater party. Note to self – don’t go there – if you begin to feel self-conscious, just replay the words  the lovely Madelyn Simone utters so often: “that’s so beautiful, Nana.”

Sometimes, in the midst of a life crowded with deadlines, drama, and duty, we need to pause and put on a Christmas sweater that’s over-the-top, bordering on the ugly side, a sweater that sparkles or shines, that brings a smile to the faces of those around us and keeps us from taking ourselves too seriously. Sometimes we need to pause and make snow angels in the yard or sing along with Dave and the Chipmunks as they warble their way through a medley of carols.
I am grateful for the ugly yet beautiful sweaters of Christmas, but I’m also thankful for the more serious moments of celebration and warmth. I’ve loved these words from Bess Streeter Aldrich forever: “Christmas Eve was a night of song that wrapped itself about you like a shawl. But it warmed more than your body. It warmed your heart . . . filled it, too, with a melody that would last forever. Even though you grew up and found you could never quite bring back the magic feeling of this night, the melody would stay in your heart always - a song for all the years.”

Here’s wishing you just the right blend of ugly sweater moments accompanied by the shawl of song-filled memories as you savor the days of Christmas 2013. And I promise that if I see you in a cheerful holiday sweater, I’ll refrain from bursting out in “don we now our gay apparel” or asking you if you’ve been shopping at Goodwill.  Instead, I’ll be sure to tell you how breath-taking you look! Merry Christmas to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment