Saturday, October 19, 2013

Cupcakes and More


We moved to Ashland more than seven years ago, so I’m no longer a just-off-the-boat immigrant. In fact, I’m pretty sure I qualify for an Ashland green card by now, as Larry and I have purchased a home in town, read the Times-Gazette every day, and get our Coney dogs at the A & W. That should count for something, right?

Yet it’s been hard to break myself of the habit of shopping outside of Ashland. Bargain addict that I am, I’m reluctant to give up my occasional visits to Marcs, the discount wonder of Ohio, and it is relatively easy to jump in the car and head for the big box stores of Mansfield, Wooster and Medina or points beyond on I-71. But I’m claiming a new shopping motto these days: Try Ashland First.

Here’s why. As it is for all of us, the fluctuating cost of gasoline can be a budget breaker, and I do want to be environmentally responsible in my use of fossil fuels. I also don’t like the idea of paying sales tax in another county to support services to their residents and not to my neighborhood. Those quarters and dimes add up.

But my main reason for the Try Ashland First mindset is that I want to live in a community that is vibrant, with people on our downtown streets and plenty of opportunities for entrepreneurs young and old. For that to be a reality, Ashland people have to be intentional about supporting Ashland business – our local products and services.

A recent foray into Main Street Ashland left me more convinced of my mission than ever. OK, I need to be honest here – I went downtown to get a cupcake at Enjoy! Gourmet Gifts. These scrumptious babies from The Faithful Little Cupcake (located in a neighboring community that I’m not naming) are addictive, and I rationalize the purchase by noting Anne Lamott’s directions about taking care of self: “Self-love is 80% of the solution, that it helps beyond words to take yourself through the day as you would your most beloved [unconventional, peculiar, eccentric] relative, with great humor and lots of small treats.” Surely by Friday I deserve a cupcake – Anne told me it’s OK to treat myself.

Have you been in downtown Ashland lately? Not only did I discover some new shops but I had the most amazing conversations with business owners and shoppers. Did you know that CLA Streetwear is owned and operated by a former U.S. Army drill sergeant – a female drill sergeant? Lydia has participated in the Army’s Boots to Business training, and decided to open a shop in downtown Ashland. I also discovered that the clothing in Clothes Minded Boutique is both unique and stunning – no need to run to the mall to get a new ensemble for my next date night. And there’s always a conversation partner just waiting to solve the world’s problems in Downtown Perks and Desserts.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t give a shout-out to long-time downtown merchants such as Irwins, Home Hardware, the Candy and Nut Shoppe, Kid’s Kountry, the Peking Restaurant and more, who have stuck around through thick and thin – we’re glad to have them around. They are joined by some great shops tucked away in the small towns of the county, such as Fickes Furniture in Jeromesville and the Parsley Pot up on Middle Rowsburg Road, and I can’t forget the new addition to downtown Loudonville, Belly Busters (the Second).

The lovely Madelyn Simone is helping me draw up my Christmas list, and I’m giving myself the challenge to Try Ashland First. It’s one more excuse to devour a White Wedding, Carrot Cake or Caramel Apple Crisp cupcake, but more than that, every sale made in Ashland County helps to keep my neighbors in business and the doors of our local shops open. That’s important to this green card-carrying Ashland resident.

Need a bit of incentive? Today’s ChickFest in downtown Ashland is supporting the Ashland County Cancer Association with special Sweetest Day promotions. Check out what’s happening on our own Main Street Ashland. I’ll say hello if I see you - in between bites of a cupcake!

No comments:

Post a Comment