Saturday, July 13, 2013

Divided Loyalties of a Smitten Immigrant


As a newcomer to Ashland in 2006, I fell in love with the character of the community and the rhythm of its lifestyle. Music at the band shell, Ashland Arrows football, the budding opportunities of the Kroc Center, and the intermittent clatter of horse hooves served as welcome reminders that we were no longer in inner city Philadelphia or Cleveland. Over the past seven years, Larry and I put down roots, and our charming home on Walnut Street has brought us much joy. I even compiled a book of Times-Gazette columns that expanded on my smittenness - Only in Ashland: Reflections of a Smitten Immigrant. Yet over the last few months, the guilt has begun to creep in, because I'm wrestling with divided loyalties. Since confession is said to be good for the soul, let me explain.

It started out as I did some contract work for the Massillon Museum, located in the city of Massillon, which is nestled along the Tuscarawas River on the western end of Stark County. I've learned about Massillon's founders and the city's namesake, eaten pizza at Smiley's, and decorated Christmas cookies at MassMu with the lovely Madelyn Simone while awaiting Santa's arrival. I've met some great people and heard the stories of struggle and success of its downtown. I've experienced my first MassMu Island Party, an event that draws thousands of people each year, and even encountered the spirit of Andy Warhol as the museum is currently presenting SNAP: In the Photobooth with Andy Warhol. I may not be quite as head over heels in love with Massillon as I am with Ashland, but it is tugging at my heartstrings.

As the girl with two boyfriends on a string, it was working out pretty well, as I was careful not to invoke jealously between the two. But then I cavalierly answered the phone on June 20th, unaware that the ensuing conversation would lead me down the path of further betrayal to my first love. It was the Salvation Army calling, asking if I could fill in at one of its Ohio locations for a few weeks, until they could assign officers to that center. I had a bad phone connection and couldn't hear the conversation fully, so finally asked - where did you say this was? "Oh, didn't you hear me - it's Wooster, Ohio."

So, since I had some spaces available on my dance card, I agreed to give leadership to the Wooster Salvation Army for five weeks. Yep, back in the saddle again, and I'm having a great time. Visionary that I tend to be, it's tough knowing there's a time limit to this gig, but I'm also grateful it's July rather than December in the Salvation Army world - no kettle bells ringing in Wooster this month. But here's the challenge - I'm loving the community of Wooster. I've met some terrific people, enjoyed samples of amazing food at their downtown tasting party, Artfully Delicious, and I attempt to get out of the building to explore a bit of downtown each day, although the weather hasn't cooperated very well with that plan.

Oh, dear Ashland, I don' want to betray you, but I'm getting smitten all the same by Wooster and Massillon. As I read their newspapers, walk their streets, and get to know their people, I see that despite our differing names and locations, these cities have much in common - big enough but not too big, a rich heritage, intriguing stories, solid values, and hopes and dreams for the future. 

In writing these words, I've had a revelation. Instead of looking at these loves as polygamous relationships or cheatin' on my man, I'm changing the metaphor to a mother's love. I've always been glad to pull another seat up to the dinner table, so as I'm making room in my heart for my new communities, those new affections don't negate my love for Ashland. This line from Lilo and Stitch says it all: "Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind - or forgotten." Now let me tell you how much fun I had at Canton's First Friday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment