Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Walk in the Door


Advice from the Ashland Area Convention and Visitors Bureau:  “Walk in that door you always pass.  Slow down.  Be a tourist in your own town.”  As a semi-recent immigrant to Ashland (starting year #7), I began my days in Ashland with a tourist mindset, stumbling upon many Ashland treasures in the early months of my immigration.  But when the Kroc Center development whirlwind hit, I didn’t take enough time to smell the roses.  So now, with a change in the rhythm of my days, I’m checking out the flowers of our community.

I began with a visit to the art exhibit in the Coburn Gallery at Ashland University.  The photos displayed there were created by local artists, and I was excited to recognize some of the names, including a couple of young friends – wonderful work.  It’s free and open to the public – no lines, no crowds - just art.

My next stop was the seminary.  Did you know that for a minimal charge, local residents can become guest patrons of the seminary and university libraries?   Why do I want to live in Ashland?  This is a community with three libraries and I can access them all!  Yes, I do have one of those new-fangled electronic book devices, but there’s still something about curling up with a real book that’s in my blood.  So I was excited to walk out of the seminary library with one borrowed book and a huge stack of new finds from their on-going book sale.  I’m one happy camper.

Speaking of book sales, one of the regular dates on my calendar has been the quarterly library book sales.  I usually make a morning visit, but poor planning on my part brought me to the doors of the Ashland Public Library with less than 30 minutes to go.  All those books, so little time.  But the trade-off was that I could fill a bag of $1.  I may just end up making two trips to the October sale.

 Other scheduled commitments kept me from visiting our downtown area on the day of the recent car show, but there are many open doors nestled in our downtown blocks that remain open even when no special events are planned.  Home Hardware has so many treasures tucked away in its aisles, and offers a number of services that we may need from time to time.  Don’t forget about 2nd Street and South Street if you’re taking a walk – many of the small businesses of our community offer unique services and merchandise, as well as friendly conversation, both in the downtown area and scattered throughout the community. 

I confess – I am – we are –so programmed to hop in the car and head out-of-county to shop that we often forget what’s right under our noses.  I’m not quite ready to give up my bargain-hunting visits to Marcs, but I am limiting those to the days I’m on baby-sitting duty in Canton because I’m committed to trying Ashland first.         

Why?  Here is the catch-22 situation for our local merchants and entrepreneurs.  Many have taken a chance on Ashland, opening a small business with limited funds for marketing.  They depend on word-of-mouth advertising, satisfied customers, and local foot-traffic.  When we’re soliciting donations for our favorite charity auction, we hit up our local neighbors and they give generously, yet we don’t always return the favor by shopping locally.  And don’t forget – a percentage of our sales tax dollars help to support our county services.          

If confession is good for the soul, then I’m on a roll. Here’s #2.  I am a football fan.  We lived in Canton for 11 years.  Yet the only time we went to the Pro Football Hall of Fame was when we took visitors from out of town.  I don’t want that to be true of my years in Ashland.  Whether it’s Grandpa’s Cheese Barn, the Parsley Pot, Local Roots, the symphony, the historical museum, the university or the Kroc Center, it’s time we’re all tourists in our own town and walk in a few new doors.  Thanks, AACVB, for that reminder.  Anyone ready for a treasure hunt?   

No comments:

Post a Comment