Thursday, May 24, 2012

Days of Transition: Part 2

The term “bucket list” describes the activities people want to experience prior to “kicking the bucket.” Popularized by a movie of the same title featuring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, many began to develop their own bucket lists, often including the film’s “laugh till I cry” and “kiss the most beautiful woman in the world.” Of course, now there’s a bucketlist.org website, providing its visitors with the ability to track their own bucket list with up to 10,000 options! Inspiration for those with limited imaginations.
            In my transition from active Salvation Army service to a retirement from that daily work, I’m developing the reverse - a “dump the bucket” list – actions I’m glad I won’t have to do anymore.  My list starts with the United Way proposal, only because it’s so fresh in my mind. Sorry, Ev, I appreciate all United Way
does for the community and for the Salvation Army, and recognize the need for accountability, but I’ll gladly let someone else take on that task next year. 
            Unfortunately, United Way is only one of many sets of paperwork I’ve wrestled with through the years, and now with so much done on-line, it gets even worse.  Last week, after struggling to fill out an on-line application for a summer program that refused to let me enter the required information, I walked out in the office and asked, “Is there anyone here who isn’t an idiot who can figure this out?”  Because I certainly couldn’t.  I won’t miss that.
I’ll gladly give up my role as the complaint desk hostess, and if I never need to fire another person again I will be relieved.  I don’t want to be the one having to notice the weeds poking their tenacious heads out of the mulch at the Kroc Center, and I’m tired of being the bad cop when it comes to the kids mistaking the entrance columns for a climbing wall.  And I won’t miss being the official cotton-candy maker – way too sticky.  
In my role as an officer within the Salvation Army, I will be so glad to be freed from facing unexpected relocations (the hardest part of the whole gig for me).  The same outfit every day routine gets old, and the off-black pantyhose can find its way to the rag bin – well, at least until I have to attend a funeral, as I do want to dress appropriately to pay my respects.
Yes, I would like some cheese with that whine.  And I’ll admit it – except for firing employees and relocating with only a few weeks notice, these are mostly sand-in-the-shoe issues, simply a part of life that happens with whatever job we are in.  I’m sure that just as soon as I dump these out of my bucket, I’ll fill it up with a few other tasks that are just as unwelcome. 
But oh, how I will miss so much else.  Being welcomed by Chelse, our early morning greeter every Lord’s day, rain or shine.  Turning on RJ’s spraypark on a hot Sunday afternoon and letting the kids splash to their heart’s content.  Watching the tulips bloom outside the Sacred Space.  Staff meeting potlucks.  Mini’s cookies.  Playing Sarah’s piano. Sharing a burden. Kneeling in prayer.  Wiping a tear.
How easy it is to stumble along in life without thought to either our “I need to dump this bucket” list or our dream list – this is what I want in life.  That’s why Niebuhr’s Serenity Prayer is such good counsel: “God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things which should be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.”  We can’t dump everything out of our buckets, but we can have some control over what goes in.
So what will bo in my bucket in the days ahead?  Not sure yet.  I just know that Jim Rohn puts it into perspective for me: “Asking is the beginning of receiving. Make sure you don't go to the ocean with a teaspoon. At least take a bucket so the kids won't laugh at you.”  So this summer, look for me at the beach – Madelyn and I will be building sandcastles, and I’ll be the one with bling on my multi-hued bucket!

No comments:

Post a Comment